In solidarity with Black Lives Matter Toronto and labour unions across the city, the ETT Executive endorsed the following motion today, put forward by the Anti-Racism, Equity, and Social Justice committee (ARESJ), which calls upon the Toronto Police Service to address the demands of Black Lives Matter Toronto as listed below:
- The immediate release of the names(s) of the officer(s) who killed Andrew Loku and charges to be laid against the officer(s)
- The adoption of the African Canadian Legal Clinic’s demand for a coroner’s inquest into the death of Andrew Loku
- An overhaul of the province’s Special Investigations Unit, in consultation with families of victims of police violence and the Black communities
- A condemnation of Toronto Police’s excessive use of force and ongoing intimidation tactics against Black Lives Matters Toronto protesters
- The immediate release of the name(s) of the officer who killed Alex Wettlaufer, and charges to be laid
- A commitment to the full elimination of carding, including: the deletion of all previously recorded data, consistent implementation amongst different police boards, and concrete disciplinary measures for officers who continue to card
ETT members will be apprised of news as things develop, and will be notified of any action that would be relevant to our membership.