- April 1, 2017 (or a mutually agreed upon date): Application form for a leave of absence or extension of a leave is due to the Board by 4:00 p.m.
- April 1, 2017: Letter or email to: Maxine Wray, Senior Manager, Elementary Teaching (copied to your staffing officer) to indicate your intent to return. After submitting this letter, notify your principal to obtain a preference form.
- Call the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan to discuss buyback options and timelines at 416-226-2700.
- Contact the TDSB to discuss benefit continuation while on a Leave of Absence at 416-395-9642.
- Fill out and submit your Leave of Absence form.
- Our members do not have preferential placement on the Occasional Teaching List, though you may apply to do Occasional Teaching work in the TDSB or in any other board. You may not hold two permanent teaching positions in more than one publicly funded school board in Ontario. Be aware that school boards’ hiring practices are now seniority-based as per regulation 274. Questions about this should be directed to ETFO PRS at 416 962 3836.
- Be in contact with your Executive Officer if your circumstances change.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Do I need to inform my principal that I’m applying for the Leave of Absence?
Yes, the principal will sign the leave form. In extenuating circumstances where the principal and/or superintendent signatures are not available, you may still submit the form directly to Employee Services.
2) Will I need to continue to pay for Long Term Disability Insurance while on leave?
Yes, for the first two years of a leave, OTIP fees will need to be remitted to the board. You will be required to send in a void cheque with the Direct Withdrawal Service Authorization form for premium withdrawal. Check your bank statements to ensure that the deductions are occurring and contact the Board if you notice any irregularities.
3) Can I still submit an assignment preference sheet in my school to see what my assignment would have been for the 2017/18 school year?
No, once you have applied for a leave you cannot participate in the job assignment process for the 2017/18 school year.
4) Will I be able to keep my benefits while on a Leave of Absence?
After applying for the leave, you should receive a Benefits Continuation form from the Board. You have the option of maintaining your health and dental benefits throughout the leave at your cost. Be in touch with your Benefits Assistant to discuss potential consequences of deciding to leave the plan for the period of the Leave of Absence. For example, if you choose not to continue your dental coverage during your leave, your coverage on return to the Board will be limited to $100 in the first 12 months after your return to work.
5) Should I let my Executive Officer know that I am applying for a Leave of Absence?
Though it’s not necessary, your Executive Officer can guide you through the process.
6) Do I continue to accrue seniority and teaching experience credit for salary purposes while on leave?
Time spent on leave counts for seniority advancement, but not for grid movement.
ETT Surplus and Transfer Committee Members
Kwabena Frimpong (LC1)
416 708 8671
Roz Geridis (LC3)
416 708 8287
Colin Strange (LC2)
416 708 8317
Jamie Thom (LC4)
416 708 8509