- any equipment, machine, device or thing the worker is to use or operate is likely to endanger himself, herself or another worker
- the physical condition of the workplace or part thereof in which he or she works or is to work is likely to endanger himself or herself
- workplace violence is likely to endanger himself/herself
In practical terms, this means that the students in a teacher’s care must be safe and supervised before a work refusal is started.
Where there is endangerment to staff and students, essential first steps are to:
- ensure that students are safe
- get immediate assistance
- report concerns to the principal
- engage emergency procedures if necessary
Please see the steps outlined by the Ministry of Labour in the attached flow chart.
Be in contact with your local Executive Officer as well for support.